Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Weekends



So it is now Saturday and I have the whole day with my son. It is wonderful. I really miss him during the week and I miss not having Friday off. I definitely appreciate time now I can never get enough with him. It also makes me thank my parents for all the time they spent with me as well as kept the house clean and then find time to take me and be there for all my extra curricular activities. Wow, Thank you, Mom and Dad. I hope Kristopher looks back on me one day and thanks me for everything I did.

So let's backtrack some more. So you never know what it is like to be a parent until you actually are one. You also never know feelings so strong for someone until you have a child. You love your spouse very much but it is really not the same. You love your child so much because they are your own flesh and blood and you made them and now you have to attend to their every need because they cannot yet take care of themselves. It is so powerful.

I think I realized this when Kristopher had to have surgery when he was 3 months old. He was born with a hydrocele which occurs in 10% of all male babies that are born. A hydrocele is a collection of watery fluid around the testicles. Most often just one and the fluid normally dissolves on it's own. Kristopher of course had a communicating hydrocele which means that is path to the testie is open and fluid continues to gather in the sack. His kept getting bigger and bigger to where we could feel it through the diaper. Normally doctors do not like to do surgery on this type of condition until the baby is at least 6 months old. So in short, I took Kristopher to the pediatrician, Dr. Bosley, and he said to keep an eye on it and it got so large that I couldn't wait and the pediatrician scheduled an appointment with the pediatric urologist, Dr. Defoor, which then told me I couldn't get the surgery for 2-3 months. I was not a very happy mother. Hydroceles are not painful to the child but definitely painful for the mother. : ( So Children's Hospital had a cancellation of a surgery and Dr. Defoor called me and we made the appointment. This all transpired over the course of about 1 month. Which goes to show the doctors thought Kristopher's condition was severe. I felt so bad for him. So since I was still on maternity leave it did not matter when the surgery was, I just wanted it done. So Wednesday, August 11. I picked James up and we went to Children's. Come to find out the surgery wasn't scheduled until Friday after I had not slept all night for being so worried.


Friday August 13th, let's try this again. So now this time it is for real, I pick James up and since we know where we are going we head up to Children's knowing he is going to have the surgery. Keep in mind Kristopher has not had anything to eat all morning since he was to go under anesthesia. The surgery was scheduled for 1:30. Can you imagine? I couldn't feed my child and he didn't understand why because I can't tell him. It was awful because not only had he not eaten since 8 am, they were running an hour behind. I was so upset, Kristopher was upset and James was upset since he didn't know how to comfort Kristopher or I. By the time they came for him I was in tears. We were allowed to walk him down to the door before he went into surgery and then the nurse came and got him. Kristopher was screaming because he was so hungry and didn't understand why come strange person was taking him. I just wanted the surgery over with and to be able to feed him. The procedure only took about 1 hour but it seemed like forever. I was finally able to see him again and feed him. He still had his IVs in and it looked so painful on his tiny little hands. I cried but I was so relieved that it was finally over and he made it through without any problems. The doctors had gotten over 2 ounces of fluid out. It was bigger than I thought, wow. So I go Wednesday for the follow up appointment with the doctor and I will let you know how he does. Sorry for the long post but it was a traumatic experience in my eyes and I don't think it phased Kristopher. Let's hope not at least. So until next time - Happy reading.

No comments: